Global awareness at Simon Balle All-through School
‘Creating tomorrow’s citizens today’
Here at Simon Balle All-through School, we are passionate about equipping our students with the mindset and skills required to prosper in an ever-changing global society. Teaching our young people tolerance, mutual respect, understanding, awareness and appreciation of other cultures is an integral part of our school ethos.
As Ban Ki-moon (United Nations Secretary-General 2007-2016) says,
‘We must foster global citizenship. Education is about more than literacy and numeracy. It is also about citizenry. Education must fully assume its essential role in helping people to forge more just, peaceful and tolerant societies’.
As educators creating tomorrow’s citizens today, we strive to ensure our young people:
- are aware of the wider world and have a sense of their own role as a world citizen
- respect, value and celebrate diversity
- have an understanding of how the wider world works
- are committed to social justice and equality
- participate in the community on a local and global level
- work with others to make the world a more equitable and sustainable place
At SBAS, we offer a range of enriching extra-curricular opportunities to develop these vital life skills, snapshots of which include:
- An international link with the Samba Njabeh school in the Gambia (please see website post via this link: http://www.simonballe.herts.sch.uk/new-international-link/)
- Modern foreign language trips
- A Geography trip to Iceland
- A Battlefields tour
- Debate clubs
- Youth Speaks UK
- A Charity committee
- Whole school fundraising events
- Music and Sports tours
- Haileybury Model United Nations
All of these initiatives enable our students to experience other cultures first hand, deepen their understanding of current affairs and develop valuable interpersonal skills.
We are currently expanding our global awareness project and we look forward to sharing more of our exciting programme with you soon.