Global awareness at Simon Balle All-through School
‘Creating tomorrow’s citizens today’
Here at Simon Balle All-through School, we are passionate about equipping our students with the mindset and skills required to prosper in an ever-changing global society. Teaching our young people tolerance, mutual respect, understanding, awareness and appreciation of other cultures is an integral part of our school ethos.
As Ban Ki-moon (United Nations Secretary-General 2007-2016) says,
‘We must foster global citizenship. Education is about more than literacy and numeracy. It is also about citizenry. Education must fully assume its essential role in helping people to forge more just, peaceful and tolerant societies’.
As educators creating tomorrow’s citizens today, we strive to ensure our young people:
- are aware of the wider world and have a sense of their own role as a world citizen
- respect, value and celebrate diversity
- have an understanding of how the wider world works
- are committed to social justice and equality
- participate in the community on a local and global level
- work with others to make the world a more equitable and sustainable place
At SBAS, we offer a range of enriching extra-curricular opportunities to develop these vital life skills, snapshots of which include:
- An international link with the Samba Njabeh school in the Gambia (please see website post via this link: http://www.simonballe.herts.sch.uk/new-international-link/)
- Modern foreign language trips
- A Geography trip to Iceland
- A Battlefields tour
- Debate clubs
- Youth Speaks UK
- A Charity committee
- Whole school fundraising events
- Music and Sports tours
- Haileybury Model United Nations
All of these initiatives enable our students to experience other cultures first hand, deepen their understanding of current affairs and develop valuable interpersonal skills.
We are currently expanding our global awareness project and we look forward to sharing more of our exciting programme with you soon.
Improving classroom practice is at the heart of all we do and this is a natural step for us to link with other schools who believe the same.
From September 2016, Simon Balle became part of the Alban Teaching School Alliance for teacher training. We have previously been able to operate as a sole provider in partnership with the University of Hertfordshire to put on the 'Schools Direct' Programme of initial teacher training. However, from September 2016, schools must be part of a wider alliance and like many schools in Welwyn, we will join the established and highly successful St Albans TSA.
Stevensons of St Albans have been our uniform suppliers for many years.
They have recently updated their website so that parents can order online.
They also come in to school on selected days to sell their uniform direct. The next dates for this service are as follows:
We have worked closely with REALSMART to develop our cloud based ‘learning environment’. The realsmart Cloud combines:
- Google Apps for all staff and students – this provides email, calendar, Google Docs/Drive and other elements of the Google Apps for business
- realsmart learning portfolios – this includes a number of useful apps for students to access learning materials, create, collaborate and share
- A blog style school website that allows parents and other stakeholders to have a real window on life and learning at SBS
It is a very flexible system and allows us to add new elements as we find them and feel they would enhance the learning and experience of members of the school community.
Realsmart are a dynamic and growing company based in Sheffield, focused on providing the best cloud based solutions, advice and training to the schools they work with.
Since starting our collaboration with them, we have demonstrated how we are using the realsmart Cloud to a number of other schools who have gone on the join the realsmart community.
Click on the smiley face to visit the realsmart website.